PT Samudra Mandiri Sentosa (PT SMS) has committed to sustainable practices and initiatives, we take the issue of sustainaibility very seriously. All of the tuna Fish that we process are Dolphin Friendly as well as environmentally friendly.
One of the initiatives that we have taken is becoming a member of an association that focus only in sustainable practice in catching tuna, Asosiasi Perikanan Pole and Line dan Handline Indonesia(AP2HI). PT Samudra Mandiri Sentosa is also one of the founding members of AP2HI which is also member of International Pole and Line Foundation (IPNLF).
Asosiasi Perikanan Pole and Line dan Handline Indonesia (AP2HI) now drives the development of the countryís coastal tuna fisheries.
The main goals of AP2HI are:
- Gather, unify and act as a ìshared voiceî for the diverse businesses engaged in Indonesiaís pole and line and hand line industry
- Promote a fair, transparent and sustainable utilization of the resource
- Ensure the industry conducts itself in a responsible and insightful manner in regards to both the environment and dependent communities
- Encourage and facilitate partnerships between companies upstream and downstream
- Drive innovation, transparency and traceability
- Represent and promote the industry both nationally and internationally to foster further support for Indonesiaís coastal tuna
For more information about the Association and what we do please visit AP2HI news.
Additional PT SMS tuna sustainability initiatives include:
- Building a hacthery to support the pole and line Fishing industry (link to the milkfish project tab)
- Financial support for local Pole and Line Fisheries in Bitung Area, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.